Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Valentine's Day Teeny Tea...

Greetings to you, Dear Friends of The Tearoom!

Welcome to my Teeny Tea today, in honor of Valentine's Day!  For me, this holiday holds a lot of special meaning.  My mother loved making things and giving gifts for most of the holidays and because both of our birthdays were close by, I believe that Valentine's Day was probably one of her favorites!

My mother

(As always, you may click on any of the images to see them larger.)

I also love Valentine's Day because all of the reds, pinks and purples are so cheerful in the middle of the coldest part of the winter.

Where I grew up in Casper, Wyoming, there was a small shopping center only about a block away from our house and she and I could walk there and go shopping at the Ben Franklin's Five-and-Dime Store, Ralph's Bookstore (which sold paperback books and was also a card store) and Donnell's Candies (which made most of their own candy right there in the store!  Oh, the lovely smell of the caramel and vanilla corn and caramel apples being made in the back!!).  With all the little items we got from these places, we put together some very special holiday celebrations!

Nostalgia is very much a part of this holiday for me and so I have decided that today's tea will not only celebrate Valentine's Day, but will also be a Foundling Tea, and so today, we welcome some of the more shy members of The Doll and Animal Family who have come to live with us.  Most of the family members who are joining us today have been adopted or rescued in some way and we celebrate each of the imperfections.  We are so glad they are all with us today.

Let's go meet all of the family members before we begin our tea, shall we?

Some of the dolls who are members of my vintage Doll and Animal Family belonged to my mother.  She told me that she didn't remember ever naming them (which I found surprising), so I've named most of her dolls to make reference to names in her family.

You will notice that, sadly, her dolls are not in the best condition any more.  Knowing how careful she was about taking care of her possessions, I would tend to think that she may have received them in the condition in which you see them.  My mother was a small girl during the Depression and her parents could not afford to buy Christmas presents for their children, so there was a local organization which gave toys to families such as this.  I really do believe that this organization must have put these dolls together from different doll parts!  Bébé Agnes' arms are too small for her body and Bébé Noisette's arms were attached to her body with nails!  Some of the dolls' legs look as though they were repaired with some kind of cloth tape. When I came to live here and adopted them, I took some of my old clothes and made some new clothes for them, which they desperately needed.

Everyone is welcome in our family of the broken, the lost, but now, not forgotten.

This is Bébé Agnès, who is named for my mother Agnes.  She never liked her name very much, but the way it is pronounced in French (ahn-yes) sounds so much nicer, I'm sure she would have approved!

Bébé Noisette is named for my mother's older sister Hazel (Noisette is French for Hazelnut, something my mother called her sister sometimes!).  Sadly, the paint on her eyes has worn off (and I don't trust my skills at repainting them without causing further damage) so she hopes you will excuse her slightly disturbing appearance, as she must wear this mask in order to see.

Baby Adin is named for my mother's eldest brother.  Adin was the middle name of her brother Sherwood.

Here he is, wearing the steampunk top hat I made for him!  As you can see, it comes with a very impressive monocle for seeing things better!

The monocle is able to be moved out of the way and held in place by repurposed clock spring when not needed!

Baby Petunia is another of her very well-loved babies.  My mother loved flowers and petunias were one of her favorites.

Canelle and Clafouti, the twins.  She adopted them from the toy department of the five-and-dime store where she worked for a time.  They are mischievous babies!  Can you tell?

The rest of the guests became members of our family when I adopted them from various places.

Mr. Bun-Bun was found by me, in the rain, on the sidewalk outside of our apartment in Washington, DC.  You can read more about him here.

Willow was sent to me by my dear friend Richard.  He found her on the streets of Washington (Richard is a genius at finding useful things there) and sent her to me.  I cleaned and repaired her carefully and made a dress for her.  Now she is ready for our lovely tea today.  Oh how we wish our Richard was here with us to have tea!  We all send hugs to you!!

As you may remember, Mr. Bear, Thursday and Tulip were all adopted by me from the Eagles' Hall Flea Market where I used to shop where I grew up in Casper, Wyoming!  As Mr. Bear is very fond of reminding people, he has been with me a very long time!

Baby Hoobert was adopted into our family from an Etsy seller.  What a good baby he is!

Mr. Mookie and Crispina came to us from my dear friend Laura.

Hyacinthe was sent to live with us, courtesy of my friend Liz.

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle is the only attendee today who was bought at a store and not adopted, but it is appropriate that she is here today since we are thinking so much of my mother.  Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle was a gift to me from her and she got her in a lovely-smelling department store in Casper, a special place where we only shopped if we were looking for special wedding presents or shower gifts.  Also, I bought my first copy of a lovely cookbook called Teen Cuisine from there and it was from that book that I taught myself the basics of French cooking and pastry making!  It was made all the more wonderful because it is filled with the brightly-colored psychedelic art of Peter Max!  I still use that cookbook (actually, I'm using the second copy I've owned!  I wore out the first one!)


And so, the table is all set and ready for tea...!





As usual, getting fresh flowers this time of year can be problematic (considering the snow keeps us house-bound for much of the time right now!).  Luckily, there are rubberstamps and vintage buttons to be made into cheerful bouquets!


Here is our menu for today, which is all sweets and tea (what more appropriate holiday for an all-sweets tea than Valentine's Day?)

I love using rubberstamps to create my menus!


Alice wanders through The Dessert Garden...

And speaking of gardens, our party is just full of flowers today...

Coconut cream cakes with chocolate ganache
and topped with chocolate roses

Delicious coconut cake (which I made from this recipe), covered in the chocolate ganache recipe which topped a chocolate banana marble cake recipe from Jill Colonna's Mad About Macaron blog, baked in a rose chocolate mold from Lékué and then, finally, topped with chocolates, made from the same mold!  Frankly, I am obsessed with these chocolate molds!  They not only make chocolate-making a breeze, the silicone is able to withstand temperatures up to 428 degrees F (and as low as -78), so they made creating my tiny cakes today so easy.  I just can't say enough about them!  So many creative uses for them.



If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you may have seen this photo I posted a few days ago:


I made this white chocolate pansy pop with the beautiful antique French chocolate mold, given to me by my friend Laura.


What a treasure!!  It just made my imagination soar to think that there were once chocolates made in such beautiful shapes as this!

Since we were not aware of what metal the mold is made from, I made an impression of it from food-safe silicone and then made a mold of that impression.  The chocolate was melted and molded from this mold.  After it hardened, this is what I did next...


Did you know there was such a thing as edible paint?  I didn't, until I started to do research for another project (which is still a secret, but one I hope to be able to let you in on soon).  So, I ordered a couple of bottles and I painted the chocolate!





And lastly, our cookie tray...
Strawberry and raspberry shortbread hearts
(adapted from a recipe from Truffles the Sheep on Twitter)
and kourabiedes (recipe here).




This beautiful little box holds a single tea bag from a very special place!  Laura visited Paris and Versailles for the first time last summer and she sent me a box of special things she had gotten while she was there.  This tiny box was one of them!  The tea in it is from Nina's in Paris and it is made especially for the Marie Antoinette collection at Versailles!  It is a black tea, delicately scented with roses and apples from the Potager du Roi (The King's Kitchen Garden)!  To find out more about the tea, the garden and Nina's tearoom in Paris, please take a look at this link.  There is also an excellent fictionalized account of the Potager du Roi and other gardens in Versailles in the movie "A Little Chaos", about André LeNôtre, who did actually design the gardens there (as well as many other gardens in Paris).  The late Alan Rickman directed it and in one of his last roles, plays King Louis XIV.

Our music for today is from the wonderful French composer Eric Satie:





We have so many lovely guests today that we didn't have room at the table for everyone, so everyone is just having a nice time, enjoying their treats on their laps, picnic-style!

And so, may I offer you some tea?
Do you take cream and sugar?

Hyacinthe, Crispina and Thursday enjoying their tea treats!





Tulip and Mr. Mookie are watching out for their baby brothers and sisters and making sure they have some cookies!  What a good big brother and big sister they are!









Thank you so very much for joining us for tea today
and Happy Valentine's Day!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo



(Completely boring note:  Apparently, Blogger is no longer allowing Open ID and Google + comments.  If you have been trying to leave me comments here and they have failed, this may be the reason.  If you wish to leave me comments and find you cannot, I can always be reached on Twitter and Instagram from the links in my sidebar.  I do sincerely appreciate each person who takes the time to read my blog posts, even if they cannot or choose not to leave a comment!)

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to you, dear Betty, and to the Teeny Tea attendees! I am so happy I checked your blog before heading to bed! Now, I'll have sweet dreams for sure!

    I love your creativity: the menu with the ribbon embellishments, the family's clothing and accessories (Oh, that top hat with monocle held by a spring!!!), the beautiful tableaus, the glorious coconut and chocolate ganache rose cakes, the pansy white chocolate pops, the heart-shaped cookies, the floral arrangements, the candlesticks with the lovely ribbons adorning them, and that teacup and saucer with the hearts on them! I also love the group picture and the individual pictures introducing everyone to the readers! It was so nice to see familiar faces and discover new ones!

    Sending you love and all of the sweetness you can bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura,
      Your support of my projects means so much to me and some of the lovely gifts you have sent were such important parts of this project! Thank you so much for your friendship and enthusiasm!!

      Sending lots of love and hugs, my dear friend!

      xo,
      Betty

      Delete
  2. I think this is your most special tea party yet! The memories you shared of your mother and her dolls are so endearing and wonderful. How special to have so many of her treasures! They are obviously so very well cared for now.

    The painted pansies turned out beautifully! I am jealous (in the very best way) of your French mold. Since roses are my favorite flower, I especially enjoyed the chocolate rose cakes. I can’t imagine all the time it must have taken you to create all of the wonderful treats!

    Thank you very much for inviting me to tea so I could enjoy all of your wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bill,
      I am so very glad you could stop by and enjoy the Valentine's party! I am so very glad that you enjoyed seeing my mother's dolls.

      Some of the things I make and do take longer than others, but everything I make is made in the spirit of love of creating and love of experimentation! If it's something I haven't tried to do before, that makes it all the more interesting to me! But I do sincerely appreciate your awareness of the time it takes to make some of these things happen!

      As always, my friend, I am so grateful for your comments and visits here!

      Take care,
      Betty

      Delete
  3. Dearest Friends,
    I am so very grateful for all of the comments I receive! Recently, Blogger seems to have made it more difficult for people leave comments for me, but gratefully, my friend Jill Colonna left me this lovely comment via Instagram, which I am very happy to post here for you to read:

    Dearest Betty,
    What a most lovely Valentine Post and for the stories behind your teeny teas. First off, I adore that portrait of your mother - what a beauty! My Scottish grandmother was called Agnes and we named Julie, our daughter, also with Agnès, using the French version. So, we think alike!

    What amazing stories about the dolls and their 'ailments'. I think that's what makes them all the more adorable. Speaking of adorable, thank you for the shout-out and thrilled that you liked the chocolate-banana marble cake recipe. Also adore your pansy moulds and what an artist you are with the paint!

    Love your creativity, as ever, Betty. Hugs from Paris!
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  4. After listening to some of the music by Erik Satie, I signed into iTunes and looked for the album there. They had it and I downloaded it. The music is very soothing, and wonderful for listening to when trying to calm down to go to sleep. Thank you for introducing me to his music! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill!
      I am so very glad that you were able to discover the lovely soothing music of Monsieur Satie through my blog! If you love what he did, you might also want to check out some Claude Debussy, as well. They were both considered to be the Impressionists of music during their time.

      Betty

      Delete

I am so very happy to read your comments!