Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Because of My Mommy...


Dearest Friends of The Tearoom,
Your patience with my infrequent visits here means the world to me. For those who don't remember the reason for my absence, please click her picture on the sidebar to the right and read the post I made in May.

It has been a very hard part of my and Mr. V's life, but we have found some measure of relief now. As of a week ago, my mother now lives in a home for people with severe dementia and they now have her very involved in all the fun activities they have for them and she sometimes forgets to miss us now. As sad as it is, it is better for her and ultimately, for us.

Above is a picture of My Mommy in a time before I was a part of her life. At the time this picture was taken, she lived in a tiny apartment she loved in Portland, Maine and still held a dream of being a country western singer in her heart. Her life took her away from that life and that dream, but she still kept enough of it to share with me, in the form of memories and inspiration.

You see, when I was a little girl, My Mommy was a Magician!!!! Oh the things she could do! She taught me to sing the songs she loved the best so that I could go on and sing all the songs I love the best now. I watched as she took all of those big red plastic containers on the kitchen cupboard and added some to some eggs and other things and made cookies!! She also showed me how you could put some sort of a stick with fur on the end into a glass of water, rubbed it over some hard things and made color to paint with!! She tried to teach me not to use the glass of lemonade instead of the glass of water to rinse my brush, but I got so caught up in making pictures that soon my lemonade would be a color it did not start out as and I wouldn't be allowed to finish it! (This is why, to this day, I cannot drink and paint at the same time!!). But the most magic thing My Mommy The Magician did was take away almost all of my crayons one day and show me how the blue, yellow and red were the only ones I really needed! How did she know such a thing?? And why didn't the people who made crayons know this?? The Gifts of Creativity and Curiosity were the some of the most important things she ever gave me.

Since we have been here, it has been very hard work to take care of her. And most days, I didn't have the energy left at the end of the day to do some of the things I wanted to do like visit you, my dear friends, here at The Tearoom.

But I know that My Mommy would not want me to stop doing magical things, so it is with love and honor in my heart that I announce my return to The World of Blogovia. My return may still be slow at first as I still go to My Mommy's new home and spend time with her, but I am so, so happy to tell you that I will be participating in The Magical Mademoiselle Vanessa's Halloween Party on October 16, in the Magical Land of A Fanciful Twist!


My Mommy gave me my love of Art and Music and those two things have brought the most joy to my life. Please don't forget to visit The Tearoom on October 16th, share a cup of tea and a bite of cake with me. I will be there to greet you and so will My Mommy in spirit.

11 comments:

  1. Bonjour Betty,
    Oh I am glad that you and your honey have found a good home for your dear Mother. You both have taken such good care of her. I will continue to pray for you all. What a lovely tribute to her. All my best to you and your Mom and Dad!
    Take care my friend,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,my dear,dear Betty:-)*
    What a beautiful photo of you Mom...
    You story tuched me so very much,you wonderful Mom is bizarre,sweet and great talented woman!
    This post is delight of my day,dear Betty,thank you for share you feelings and you minds with us,my friend!

    Love,blessings and many warm hugs to you,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful memories dear Betty and as you know I go to the same with my mom and isn't a blessing we have those precious memories ?
    I always say to my dad : remember how she was before she got sick , thats what we can do for her.

    Thinking of you and many hugs from Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Betty, this is such a beautiful, sweet post and I am truly very glad that you feel at peace with the latest transition for your mother. I think you are an amazing daughter and I am sure you Mom can feel it in her heart. While reading your post I remebered my wonderful Mother-in-law who also suffered dimentia and had to be cared for in a special home. The fact that she was involved in million activities with the people of her own age gave her strength to live for 7 more years...Betty, I am sending you millions of huggs and kisses from New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Betty, ta maman est très très belle sur cette photo, c'est comme ça que je pense à elle ! C'est très émouvant de lire ce que tu écris ici pour elle et tout l'amour qui vous lie. Je pense fort à toi et je t'écrirai plus longuement la semaine prochaine. Je t'embrasse et te souhaite une jolie soirée, à bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Friends,
    Words truly cannot express my gratitude for your support. I look forward to spending time with all of you here again as I make my way back into This Lovely Escape From Reality.

    Hugs to you all,

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Betty,
    Am glad to hear that you and your honey have found a place for your Mama. Though she is not with you I am sure you can visit her, and that she thinks of you often. Am sure you are both in her mind and her heart. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet tribute to your mom!
    I am so glad for you and your husband that you found a good place for your mother where she can live safely and with dignity and you can visit her.

    Were you working at the Starbucks next to the Uptown Cinema on Connecticut Ave, NW? I loved that part of town. The little Italian place a little further up, the small French restaurant, that little shop with all those unusual gift items, the Uptown bakery, the courtyard of Firehook Bakery (and their grape pizza!). I do miss those place, still.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a nostalgic fool out of myself after you mentioned R St NW and Teaism on my blog! *giggles*

    I know exactly which Starbucks you meant - even though I hardly ever bought coffee there. Was simply too close to Teaism and their teas and food were so extraordinary, I used every opportunity to take advantage of a visit there.

    I get very homesick about DC at times. It is a special city to call home and home to an eclectic mix of people, working just as hard as people outside the Beltway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Betty....so lovely that you are, xv.

    ReplyDelete

I am so very happy to read your comments!