Friday, March 7, 2014

What I Will Be Looking For...


As I mentioned yesterday, I can hardly wait to see the new movie "Grand Budapest Hotel".  There are so many things to be excited about:  the great cast, all the details that Wes Anderson has created for the film, but there is one thing that is of particular interest to us here at The Tearoom.

I know it has been a while since I have chatted about pastries here at The Tearoom, we have never lost our love for them.  I dream of the day we will return to Paris and get to visit patisseries once again and have our senses flooded with the tastes, scents and sights of beautiful pastries!  And so, when I was exploring the website for the movie, I found that Wes Anderson has provided us something very interesting to nibble on, so to speak.  Saorise Ronan plays Agatha, a pastry maker for the fictional patisserie Mendl's in, which supplies pastries to the Hotel.  She makes a pastry called "Courtesan de Chocolat".  I was pleased to find the recipe for them by clicking the green button in the upper right hand corner of the webpage entitled "AcademieZubrowka.com", in Lesson Two-The Lutz School: Beaux Arts, Literature and Culinary Evolution, Page 1, Section D.

Many times, I have featured the famous French pastry the Religieuse in our now-famous Tea Parties of The Imagination.  Just as a reminder the word "Religieuse" means "nun" in French.  I am beyond delighted to see that Mr. Anderson has created a delightful (albeit slightly naughty) play on words with his creation the "Courtesan"!  The recipe in the website even goes so far as to indicate the colors of the frosting for each of the three sections of choux (cream puff pastry), even the color of the buttercream used to decorate them as well as including a recipe for the chocolate creme anglaise filling!

Religieuse de verveine
from Hugo et Victor, Paris

My interpretation of the
soon-to-be-famous
Courtesan au Chocolat!

For a great review of the movie, please read this one from The New York Times.

Here's another good one at The Dissolve.

And for some great stills, as well as some amazing details from the premiere of the movie in Paris last month, please check out this feature from Vogue.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've heard of the Grand Budapest Hotel but if it has a tea room and pastries in it I'm already looking forward to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to you, Dear Rachel!
    It is always such a pleasure to see you here!! This movie just looks like too much fun! I don't really know how well Wes Anderson is known there, but here, there are so many people who love his fun and quirky films!

    Wishing you a most lovely day!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

I am so very happy to read your comments!