Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Red & Black Tea...

Dearest Friends!
Welcome to The Red & Black Tea, the very first Teeny Tea!  So much work and preparation has gone into this fun event and we couldn't be happier that you could join us here today!  We are all so grateful for the beautiful day!

As always, please click any of the pictures to see them larger.

First of all, please take a peek at the menu.  I had a lot of fun rubberstamping and adding red and black Stickles to it!  As some of you might remember, I taught the rubberstamping class when I worked at Paper Source in Georgetown and I still enjoy it.  Expect to see more rubberstamping for the next Teeny Tea, which will be The Pansy Tea, which is already being planned!



The day was a perfectly beautiful one.
Here are a few pictures of the table, set and ready
for the guests to arrive!


I made the table as well, from a cardboard box, brown and white paper and white glue.  I could have looked forever for a table this size and shape, so instead, I made one!  I must admit being quite inspired by the furniture design of the great Scottish architect/designer/artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh.





As I pointed out in an Instagram post a few weeks ago, curating is its own art form.  Gathering together vintage doll dishes and decorative items from things that had belonged to my mother, things I own and things I found from various sellers on Etsy was just another aspect of this tea.  You can expect to see this eclectic collection more in future teas.

Here's a close up of one of my favorite vintage pieces, a tiny vase I bought many years ago at an antique shop in Gray, Maine.

Another aspect of this project was making new dresses for Thursday and Hyacinthe!  As always, I sewed the dresses and accessories by hand, without patterns.  I used the gorgeous "Madame Rouge" fabric from French General and used bits of ribbon and vintage buttons from my collections. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle also had a new dress for the occasion.

Here are they are together in their new dresses!

Now everyone is seated at the table, ready for the party to begin!

The girls have been very excited for this party!

As you may have seen in the last post,
Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and I have been so busy
making all the food for this lovely day!




Mr. Bear and his old friend Parsnip
can't wait to see what tea treats will be served!

Mr. Mookie and Teddy have asked to sit with
Baby Hoobert because they thought he might
need help eating.  What helpful family members
they are.

Of course, what is a party like this without music?
Dear Brownie McNutt entertains us on the toy
piano!  Plinka-plinka-PLINK!!
But do not worrry!
He will be having his tea and treats along
with everyone else in sips and bites between songs!

Who is this?
We do not know who this kittycat is,
but he invited himself to the party
and spent most of the day on the porch
with us.

Mr. V did a good job keeping him distracted,
as he was rolling all over my feet as I was
trying to photograph the party!



Now, which of our tea selections would you like?
This is the Black Forest Cupcake Tea, the hot tea
selection.  It's a delicious chocolate/cherry tea,
made with cocoa nibs and hibiscus for tartness!
It's scrumptious with just a bit of milk and some sugar.

I love to see the milk swirling in the cup!

This tea really is best with a bit of sugar to bring out
the cherry flavor.  We have some turbinado sugar here.

Or perhaps, like Mr. Bear, you would prefer our iced
tea selection, the Brambleberry, which is quite
perfect just as it is.  It's an herbal infusion of
hibiscus, cinnamon, peppermint, lemongrass,
rose hips and orange peel, with
marionberry and apple juices.  And, as you can see,
we prefer to drink our iced tea from a proper
tea cup!  It just tastes better that way!

Oh look!  Here comes Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle with
the serving cart and the first of the tea treats!

The first course!  The sandwiches!

The round sandwich is kalamata olive, blended into
neufchatel cheese, on pumpernickel-rye.
The other sandwich is goat cheese mousse with
heirloom grape tomato slices on Italian pane bread.

Here are the cheese scones!

Would you like butter with your scone?


Here we are, enjoying our savory treats!
Some of us are saving our appetites for the sweet
treats to follow!

You might not think that Thursday would be one to
have a sweet tooth, but she is!  She's having only a
scone, so she has room for dessert!
But the sandwiches do look delicious, don't they?

Some like Mr. Bear and Parsnip want to have a bit
of everything!  They are each having both kinds
of sandwich and are sharing a scone between them.

Time for checkerboard cookies!

A cookie for Teddy?  Yes, please!

Or perhaps you'd prefer a slice of jam tart?
We have made cherry and blackberry!

Thursday gets her wish and has both kinds of sweets:
a checkerboard cookie, as well as a piece of the
cherry jam tart!

Mr. Bear and Parsnip wanted both sweets too,
but they chose the blackberry jam tart.

Mr. Mookie, Baby Hoobert and Teddy are all having the cookies.

Mrs. Tiggy Winkle has a cup of iced Brambleberry Tea
and a checkerboard cookie!  She deserves it after having
worked so hard to help me prepare for the party.

And a cookie for Brownie, as he continues to
entertain us!
Plinka-plinka-PLINK PLINK!

Eggsy and his friends are having cookies too!


Now our first Teeny Tea is finished.

Thank you so much for joining us here today
for tea!

Please check back soon for the next Teeny Tea!




2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day for a Red and Black Tea! The table settings were stunning with the colorful pansies in the background. Purple Pig was beside herself when she saw the sandwiches. Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle was so generous by letting my pig have two of each. I controlled myself and only had one of each. They were so tasty I could have easily had another, but I didn't want to make a pig of myself! I did allow myself to have a cheese scone, though, because a tea party isn't a tea party unless you have a scone.

    I must apologize for purple pig squealing so loudly when Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle brought out the desserts. The checkered cookie was delicious, and the jam tart was divine! Fortunately, purple pig was enjoying the music so much that I was able to put back several of the cookies she had put on her plate.

    I would love to write more, but I have to suddenly rush off. Thank you so much for a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bill, Thank you so much to you and Purple Pig for attending the tea today!! We were so happy to see you and to meet Purple Pig! Please feel free to come back anytime. We will be right here whenever you would like to come back and have as many treats as you would like!
      Betty

      Delete

I am so very happy to read your comments!