Friday, June 26, 2009

A Mad Tea Party By Moonlight

Please don your heart-shaped sunglasses and very most daringly Victorian bathing costume and join us at the Moonlight Mad Tea Party!


Do any of you dear friends remember when Mr. Mad Hatter sang this at the Original Mad Tea Party?
“Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat
How I wonder what you’re at
Up above the world you fly
Like a teatray in the sky...”

Our special Guest of Honor is Mr. Clafouti, the wonderously rare and adorable Teddy Bear Bat. Everyone runs to greet him and pet his furry tummy! Oh! So much petting all at once is very tickle-y!

You will find Alice is taking a lovely swim in the teacup pool with The Mouse but this time isn’t talking about any (ahem) dogs and cats. Please take a dip! You will find that Iced Darjeeling is refreshing to drink and even more refreshing to swim in! Also, please notice that the Firefly Cotillion is being attended by many happy fireflies over the pool!

Moonbathing is de rigeur. Please indulge yourself! Our friend Mademoiselle Moon is full and her light is particularly luscious and lavenderly tonight!

And what could possibly be on that teatray in the sky for us to munch on while lounging in the moonlight? It’s a decadent and delicious black and white tea party menu:
*Three Kinds of Crescent Moon Shaped Crostini (black olive tapenade; baked brie and truffle oil; creme fraiche and caviar)
*Scones with clotted cream and blackberry jam
*Slices of fresh white peach tart
*Bittersweet chocolate and vanilla bean checkerboard cookies
*Madagascar vanilla and black pepper ice cream
*Glasses of Iced Fig de Blanc tea (white tea scented with black figs)

The table is set with black pansies and white lilacs (with just a few sprigs of purple thrown in, of course! After all, it is a tea at The Gossamer Tearoom, isn’t it?)

And as for music, we will be listening to something dark and fun: the newly released compilation, Factory Records-Communications 1978-92. Dance throughout the night to the gloom and endless beats of Joy Division, New Order, Electronic, Durutti Column and more.

(P.S. - The face of the teddy bear bat is actually that of my oldest and dearest friend Teddy, who has known me since I was born! The picture of his face and the picture of his tummy fur, which is actually his ear, is from a photo taken by my super sweet husband Victor! I had to take the picture of his ear instead of his tummy because I loved most of his fur off years ago! I mean Teddy's, not Victor's!)

Thank you so much to Miss Vanessa of A Fanciful Twist for hosting this extra fun event!!

Happy Tea Party to You All!

Betty

41 comments:

  1. Oh so sorry, I could only find my moon-shaped glasses. Hope you don't mind. Lovely tea my dear...do stop by and visit Alice. Be warned; she is in a cranky mood. **blows kisses** Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a wonderful time with you...i am having my tea by the sea...with flowers in my hair...come join me...hugs, rebecca/cre8tiva

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to go... see you there! Running a bit late this morning! I wanted to bring some fairy dust for the cupcakes but can't find the fairies....I'm sure there will be plenty... Will you bring your moon beams? I made us some seaweed crowns:)
    XOX's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful posting! I am stuffing my face with all the goodies and I am off to the next soiree.....

    Love,
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely swim I've just had in your teacup! Thanks ever so much for letting me drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tea! It was divine! Have a magical weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tea party. A am very fond of teddy bear bat- Bats are favorites of mine. - I like all your black and white graphics too.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!

    I hope you'll stop by my Tea Party and see what I'm decking out all the party-goers in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that picture of Alice in the cup-and your menu has me starving, YUM!
    and the PS about the bat origins? Priceless!
    Thanks! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had such a delightful time at your party! I've never had iced Darjeeling before, delicious! And it was a pleasure meeting Mr. Calfouti, he has such interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your charming tea party. I thoroughly enjoyed myself - but I must dash now, the White Rabbit, the White Rabbit you know!!! Carol :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. great party. this was so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That teddy bat? Oh my...what a sweetie and the perfect little one to welcome me to your party!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Friends,
    Thank you so very much for visiting here today! My day job kept me away for most of the day, but I'm catching up on my visiting tonight!

    Hoping you all had a Very Happy Mad Tea Party Day!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. White Lilacs, Mr. Clafouti, and swimming in Tea sounds like this side of enchantment to me.
    Really enjoyed visiting with you this fine afternoon.
    Have a magical weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A delightful Moon tea party. Scones with clotted cream and jam sound divine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember the poem and your Teddy, with the "loved off" tummy is adorable. Happy tea parties - hot tea, iced tea - in the coming rest of the year. Jeanne in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the treats and delightful company! I must be off now...hate to eat and run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. and a happy mad hatter tea party day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another lovely tea party! I will be sure to give Mr. Clafouti a pat on his furry tummy as I fly through!

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely tea party! I enjoyed all the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had such a wonderful time, and I did enjoy my swim with alice..it's been so hot! Thanks for having me.


    You’re invited to please visit stop by and visit my party where we’re having a tea of a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. And the best part of the party was all of the magic to be had.

    Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enchantingly magical!! I LOVE the tea cup swim! Tea under the moonlight is my fave! Thank you for being a magical part of Wonderland!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have made such a gorgeous tea party - thank you for teh scrumptious images, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh what is this dark and mysterious place? How magical! I'm having so much fun party blog hopping. So happy to discover the many wonderfully creative souls that have come to inspire and delight.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I delcare, you think I'd be full by now, but your food makes me hungry all over. I had a lovely time. Come over to my place at IdaClare, hugs, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a magical place. The lilacs and pansy s so mysterious. I am swimming in fun!
    Do drop by for a spot of tea and fun. ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Joy Division! Sorry I'm late, everyone has so much to see and do!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love to pet clafouti. See I mean like his name :-) Adorable little bear bat.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It is so curious that these Mad Tea Parties are still going strong! I've yet to clean mine up, so please feel free to follow me back down the rabbit hole to Haute Whimsy before life goes back to simply mundane!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful tea party you have had! There was just so much to see!!!!!! But I still have my party shoes on and have been dancing the weekend away. Having so much fun still visiting on Monday!! Mine is still going strong...stop by!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  33. I do have heart shaped red glasses! And I do so love pansies of all colors but black is so divine!
    I am still tea-partying! I am holding a giveaway of my own to keep the party rolling. Please come by and say hi at http://treasures-found.blogspot.com

    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fun post! My first time here and I'll be back!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh yes, thank you,
    just what I needed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. stumbled across this while looking at macarons. i love this - i had a mad tea party last week, and now i find more tea party ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How did I end up back here in 2009 you may well wonder! I was playing with the buttons in the Tardis when Dr. Who wasn't looking, and before I could pick myself off the floor (it was quite a sudden jolt because I actually pushed the button twice), we landed here at this most fabulous party. Alice was a little wrinkled from swimming in that tea for so long, Although, I guess it wasn't really long since we went back in time. These timey whimey things get so confusing. I'm sure everything will make much more sense after I indulge in the delectable looking treats. I'd thank you for the invite, but we weren't really invited unless we should have gone back even further in time and checked our mail. Oh my. The good Doctor is waving me back into the telephone box, so I better be off. Thank you for a wonderful time whenever it happened.

    ReplyDelete

I am so very happy to read your comments!