Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Flowers at Tea

Hello Dear Friends,
I welcome you back today with a topic that is near to my heart! I just love how the scents and flavors of the flower garden can be brought to teatime! I have spoken of this before, but I follow up on some news from The Valentine Tea of this year. Just announced, the third in the new series of flavors from The House of Pierre Hermé: Jardin Secret, an original composition of rose, vanilla and clove, developed to remind one of the scent of carnations! Unfortunately, carnations are a flower which have fallen out of favor somewhat, I am certain, in part, because the ones which are grown in hothouses to be the longest lasting in cut flowers do not have the delicious scent I remember from when I was young. They were always a favorite of my mother (along with their delightful little cousins the pinks!) and I still remember their distinctive soft but spicy scent. I am very excited that M. Hermé is still inspired by them as well! This is what is written about what I am certain is a most delicious flavor combination:


The third part of this garden tour: Jardin Secret created in companionship with Jean-Michel Duriez, master perfumer at Rochas. Inspired by a floral "carnation" note borrowed from the repertory of perfumemaking, it is a sweet blend of rose, vanilla and cloves. The palate first encounters the taste of rose, which prepares it for the heady intoxication of vanilla and cloves. A trio of tastes merging into a single secret flavour.

On his site, he recommends having them with his Ispahan tea (with notes of rose, raspberry and litchi). I am reminded that my favorite tea from Pierre Hermé is the Jardin de Pierre, with notes of citrus, jasmine, rose and violet - truly hypnotic and near hallucinatory in flavor! And, the next time we are in Paris, I will be tempted by his other flower-scented tea, Envie, which carries the notes of violet and blackcurrent up to your anxiously awaiting nose on clouds of steam from your teacup!! (Teas pictured here from left to right: Ispahan, Jardin de Pierre and Envie)


and....while I was in M. Hermé's site today, I see that he does tease us so with the prospect of summer and all the delights waiting for us then! Last year, I was most remiss in not telling you about these:


But I will not miss out this year....

And who is doing the teasing now?

2 comments:

  1. Oooo yummy.

    I'm a big fan of flowery tea and the Jardin de Pierre sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You summed up your post with my thought exactly! Why are you teasing us with these scrumptious looking and sounding delights when some of us won't be going to Paris to try them out? Oh well. Have a cup and macaron for me. :^)

    ReplyDelete

I am so very happy to read your comments!